Thursday 1 January 2009

The Year of Readers

As 2009 rolls in, it's time to mention that I am participating in The Year of Readers challenge. This initiative is the brainchild of Jodie Barker and aims to link the enjoyment of blogging and reading with raising money for literacy charities. All of the money raised between 1st January 2009 and 31st December 2009 will go towards each reader's nominated charity, helping someone else to develop a love of reading. If you are interested in learning more about the scheme then do visit the blog and feel free to sign up yourself!

My chosen charity is Book Aid International who work to increase access to books and information to support literacy, education and development in Sub Saharan Africa. I've set up a fund-raising page and will be self-sponsoring on a monthly basis at £1 for each book I read in 2009. I should probably mention to anyone who is also thinking about supporting Book Aid per book I read that this year's final tally was 133 so do your sums around that one! One off donations to Book Aid International are, of course, more than welcome too.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2009!

Peta x

No comments: