Monday 8 September 2008

The Last Colony - John Scalzi

Thanks to my incredibly subtle hints last week, I was able to get my hands on a copy of The Last Colony courtesy of the ever-lovely Mr B. My post about reading John Scalzi's other books is here and I posted some short story links earlier in the month here.

The Last Colony follows the story of John Perry and Jane Sagan who come out of retirement as civil administrators to lead a party of settlers in colonising a new world. They take along with their adopted daughter Zoe, with her two Obin protectors, as well as settlers drawn from ten other human colonised worlds. The planned settlement does not go as expected and John and Jane find themselves fighting to the survival of the planets new inhabitants...

Before I write down my thoughts, I need to reference Aidan Moher's excellent review of this book here to explain why I am not going to write a real one myself. He, yet again, explains the appeal of these books way better than I could!

Although I enjoyed this book, I didn't feel that The Last Colony was as well written, or exciting, as Old Man's War but it is still great fun and a continuation of the same overall story. Which is more than enough to meet my needs! It can be read as a stand-alone book but I would strongly recommend reading the series in order.

It was meant to be the last book in the series but I see that Zoe's Tale revisits the same characters.

No comments: