Saturday 26 April 2008

Norfolk Children's Book Centre

I took my first trip to the Norfolk Children's Book Centre today with my aunt who wanted to check out some football books for boys aged 10ish. What a great place and no wonder The Bookseller awarded them first place in the 2007 best Children’s Independent. We were greeted with a very friendly smile, offered lots of help and book suggestions along with (the best bit!) a tray of tea, coffee and biscuits! I shall no longer moan about not having a good independent bookshop near(ish) my house although it is such a shame that Norwich/Norfolk does not have an independent shop for grown-ups. I am sure I could do a lot to keep them in business singlehandedly!!

The NCBC is a great place to spend a couple of hours exploring. I left having "accidentally" bought five books when I had actually intended to only be there in the role of chauffeur/adviser. I can't even pretend that the books were for a child of my acquaintance - they were chosen solely for my own reading pleasure.

Perhaps I need to run a special week where I just comment on books for children to provide a smokescreen for myself! I could ask my niece to contribute. Brilliant. If only I had thought of that before I confessed...

No comments: