Thursday 27 March 2008

Booking Through Thursday

This week's btt:

While acknowledging that we can’t judge books by their covers, how much does the design of a book affect your reading enjoyment? Hardcover vs. softcover? Trade paperback vs. mass market paperback? Font? Illustrations? Etc.?

I'm not sure that the design of a book has much impact on my reading enjoyment but if I did not like the "look" of it then it might not make it into my hands to get read in the first place. I prefer the experience of reading a trade paperback in bed (so much lighter) but of a hardback or large format paperback when curled up in an armchair. Having said that, there are a couple of hardback books that I've not read simply because they are very heavy and I am waiting for the paperback versions!

If part of a series then it needs to "match" the rest, if the font is small or annoying then I will tut but continue however if the story is good then I don't really mind what the book looks like.

Until it's on my shelf... Then I want all my books to be objects of beauty with gorgeous covers, clear font, crisp pages and delightful illustrations. :)

1 comment:

Jeane said...

I feel exactly the same way.